Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Day 16 &17 - Uecker - Unifying theme - old drivers

Days 16 & 17 - pretty unremarkable runs unified by a sneaking suspicion I am developing that old people drive cars that can't go on the snow.  Now I admit, I'm not that young, so I must state that I am referring to people that I believe to be at least 20 years older than me.  On both days, I had these people driving down the middle of the road and almost hit me.  Coming from the other direction!  I always run against traffic so that I can see what's coming and those people, that I think we all encounter, that seem to steer toward you are more easily spotted if I'm facing them.  I just couldn't believe this though that I would be going along and then from behind have people almost brush me with their side mirrors.  Guess I need my head on a swivel.

Day 16 - was a really quiet run until I got to the half way point.  I honestly think I didn't see any cars on the road until then.  I was excited to get to this point.  From here on out I would have run more than what I had left.  So when I got to what I figured to be 1 1/2 miles I kicked up my heels.  That was almost a huge mistake for right at that moment 2 cars tried to go 2 different directions on the same bit of road I was on and they both tried to do it from the center of the road.  Last time I checked tires and the rest of the car were designed to drive on the slush and ice I was trying to run on to save my skin.  Had a couple more close passes on this day, but none as close as this.  Lots of slush running so it was a cautious and measured run.

Day 17 - more of the same from the previous day, just had a dose of runnus interruptus, I had to take a call about a mile into my run, so I went a little longer than planned to just be sure that I had truly run 3 miles.  Day 17 was a much more enjoyable day to run.  One less layer and sun was shining.  Unfortunately, still a lot of slush and ice on the Flossmoor section of the run.  For some reason today was also a day for a lot of tree crews.  Didn't think tree cutting was usually done in December, but that's okay.  I got my selfie for today thanks to them.

RAN 3.12 MI ON 12/16/13

DISTANCE
3.12mi
DURATION
33:51
AVG PACE
10:51
KCAL
635

RAN 3.50 MI ON 12/17/13

DISTANCE
3.5mi
DURATION
39:23
AVG PACE
11:14
KCAL
720

"Yo!  Marcothon!  I'm starting to throw you in that chipper-shredder!"

Day 16.  Day 17.  Youze all in the books!






















No comments:

Post a Comment