Saturday, December 7, 2013

December 7 - Bauer - The Week in Review

Just like 'Marcothon', I didn't plan on participating in this blog.  Thanks to Jeff, Tabitha, and Rick for sharing the space.  There was a time not too long ago that I would have been happy with 3 or 4 miles a few times a week.  I ran a 2 or 3 5k races each year, hoping I might either get a little faster each year or perhaps it wouldn't hurt as much as the last race.  In my view, I don't look like a runner.  I am not wafishly thin,  my features are round to a fault, and I never turn down a piece of pizza or cake.  Last year I saw an advertisement for a local running group, and I thought I might give it a try.  I showed up to my first group run with what turned out to be the same worries as everyone else: "Am I fast enough? Can I go the distance? What are we going to talk about?"  That was back in May.  Today is December 7th, marking my 8th day of consecutive runs.  After a summer of group fun runs, Monday track workouts, increasingly long Saturday runs, and a first marathon in November fueled almost entirely by peer pressure, I find myself almost incapable of missing a group event (although family and work commitments do come first -- often keeping me from that extra run, or leaving me unable to join for the Wednesday night fun).  There is something about mixing the natural high of running with camaraderie and a fair amount of beer that is hard to resist.  I have busy days and I travel all over North America on a weekly basis, and I really don't have time to run every single day, but here I am at the end of the first week of December, the first week of 'Marcothon', and I am fully committed (in more ways than one).  Here is a recap of the last seven days:

Day 1 -- I thought I would get in a quick 4 miles, because that is what I do on Sundays.

 Day 2 -- I deliberately avoided running all day, because I did not want to get caught up in the craziness.  At 9 PM I walked the dog.  It was raining and it felt like it was getting warmer.  I arrived home, changed my into my running clothes without talking to anyone, and ran a quick 3 miles in the rain and dark. 

Day 3 -- I had a cab picking me up at 6:30 for a flight to Seattle.  I set my alarm for 4:00 AM and joined the 5:00 AM runners for 5 miles.  This proved to be one of the longer days I have had this year, with a four and half hour flight, a three hour meeting, a dinner out with clients, and back to my hotel by midnight.


 Day 4 -- After a full four hours of sleep, I was out of the hotel at 4:45 on my way back to the airport.  Another day on the airplane and some work in the afternoon,  a 30 minute nap and 5 miles with the group.  I arrived late, and along with Joel, we ran the first mile faster to catch the group that had left without us.  Beer, pizza, and fun followed.

Day 5 -- Cold!  A run at night, with an emphasis on getting it done.  Headlamps and tight clothing were worn.

Day 6 -- Colder! A vacation day that turned into a working day with a promise to pick my son up from school at 3:30.  At 2:55, I was still on a call and was running out of time.  My fastest run of the week, out of necessity not desire.

Day 7 -- Coldest!? My friend Mark was going to run the marathon in Memphis this weekend, but a nasty snow and ice storm turned him away (the marathon was eventually cancelled).  I half jokingly, half seriously offered to run 26 miles with him on local roads.  He took me up on my offer!  Now unfortunately for Mark, but a boon for me, Mark picked up the Marco-flu (see Rick's posts), leaving me with the opportunity to enjoy a more leisurely 7.5 miles in the 'heat' of the day and quick trip though the Isaak Walton trails.  I half expected to see Archer there, but we missed one another by an hour or more.

Until next week!