Wednesday, December 4, 2013

December 1 - Uecker

What in the world have I gotten myself into.  I love being part of HFCRC, but at times I feel like I'm in a bit over my head.  I think this might be one of those times.  When I accepted this challenge a couple weeks ago my wife, Catherine, made a comment that night:

"So you're going to run everyday next month?"
"Sure," I said, "I can at least try."
"You don't normally run everyday."
"It's only for a month."

That's how I remember the exchange going.  Probably should have gone a little bit more like this:

"So you're going to run everyday next month?"
"Sure," I said, "I can at least try."
"Are you nuts?  You run more that 15 miles in a week and you whine like a baby."
"I think you're right.  Can you somehow get me out of this insanity?"

I do know that I did comment when I accepted the challenge that I would probably be out on day one.  Little did I know how true that might be.

On Saturday, we were in Ann Arbor and went for a short run in the morning before we drove back that afternoon.  Driving for 3 1/2 - 4 hours usually wears me out a bit.  More mentally than physically.

Sunday morning, I headed into Chicago to have new head shots done.  Now you might think that being in front of a camera for 3 hours is easy and a lot of fun.  You'd be right.  It is.  It's also somewhat exhausting.  Being high energy for 3 hours takes a bit out of you.  I figured that once I got home I would head out for my 3 miles and call it Day 1 in the books.

Not so fast.  Got home and then we realized that we didn't have food in the house for dinner that night and a birthday pie that needed to be baked.  Headed to the store...

You're probably thinking, when am I going to get the run.  By this point in time I was sort of thinking the same thing.  I was probably going to be done before this challenge even started.

But no!  Catherine pushed me out the door and told me to go get this out of the way.  It was hard.  I had nothing.  I wanted to quit before I even got around the corner.  The only thing that kept me going was knowing that other members of HFCRC were already done or out there right now.  That's the great thing about this group.  Guilt.  :)  Keeps you going even when you don't think you can.

So here it is, Day 1:  3.02 miles, 30:44 minutes.  Music, just a variety.  Afterwards - just glad day 1 was done.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/workout/440068751

3 comments:

  1. Guilt and social pressure can be such a burden. I just fessed up to my wife that I ran Monday when I was sick and in the bed all day. Let's just say it's time for a short stay in the dog house. But I know you can do this thing,especially with a spouse that will push you out of the door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeffry - I'm always willing to push him out the door. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to read this :) And so glad to have an accomplice in this obviously illegal ridiculous feat we're setting out on. geesh :)

    ReplyDelete